Writing a good title tag is an important part of SEO optimization. Both by the web users and search engines, title tags are used to understand the element of the webpage. These tags contain HTML or XHTML Meta elements that are added to the head of the HTML document.
Title tags are similar to the chapter title of a book. As the title helps the reader decide whether or not to read the chapter, the title tags help the search engine decide whether or not to display the site for a particular search query. And, help the user to decide whether or not to click the title in the search result. The title tag should include SEO keywords to help the search engine determine what the webpage comprises of.
Learning the art of writing a good title tag
Listed below are some points that will make a title tag gain vital importance while framing SEO strategy.
- Length of the title tag must not exceed 70 characters including spaces.
- It is must to place most important SEO keywords first in the title tag, and least potential words in the last. In case, if you are working on a language, where people read reversely, the title tag must be framed as such from least important words to most important word.
- It is recommended to make use of pipes to separate most important phrases and to avoid dashes, commas, underscores, or other punctuation unless the keyword calls for such notations.
- It is must to write title tag phrases more crisp and simple. It is better to avoid framing it as a sentence comprising if, then, but, and so on.
- If the keyword doesn’t include the company name, it is a good idea to add it at the last of the title tag. And, if the company name is the part of your keyword, place it at the start of the tag.
- Equivalent to writing a good title tag, it is important to write it differently for each page. So, avoid duplicating title tags as it will minimize the probability of reaching more visitors.
- It is quite important to frame a title tag that describes the content of the page. If it is not relevant, the visitor will leave the page in a short span of time.